Note: A much easier and faster method to install Tsoft on INTEL Macs is here!
You wish to run a particular Windows application on your INTEL Mac without launching a virtual machine (VM) like Parallels Desktop, vMWare Fusion or Sun’s VirtualBox ? At full speed ? Then enter WINE (WINE Is Not an Emulator).
From the webpage:
Wine is a translation layer (a program loader) capable of running Windows applications on Linux and other POSIX compatible operating systems. Windows programs running in Wine act as native programs would, running without the performance or memory usage penalties of an emulator, with a similar look and feel to other applications on your desktop.
For example if you need to check or analyze tide data with the Windows application TSOFT (aÂ software package for the analysis of Time Series and Earth Tides) without launching the VMs you should try to install WINE on your Mac!
There are WINE binaries for Mac OS X INTEL available (Darwine) but these aren’t up to date with the latest source code, but it should work though. Another possibility to run a Windows application is to buy the commercial derivative of WINE called “Crossover” from Codeweaver.
But if you wish and prefer to install WINE from the latest source code on OS X Intel, please follow my instructions:
- A Mac INTEL computer with Mac OS X Tiger (10.4.x) or Leopard (10.5.x). WINE will not work on Mac with a PowerPC processor!
- XCode 3.1.2 Developer Tools for Leopard or 2.4.1 for Tiger and X11 SDK installed. Free download of XCode here
Install the source code in the following order:
- GNU’s libtool (To build “jpeglib6” we need the latest â€˜GNU libtoolâ€™ since â€˜libtoolâ€™ from /usr/bin on Mac OS X breaks â€˜jpegâ€™ lib build). Download from here
- Fontforge libraries. Download here
- JPEG library “jpeg6lib”. Download from here
- PNG library “libpng”. Download here
- FreeType 2.3.8 from here
- And finally the latest WINE source files (I succesfuly compiled WINE development version 1.1.12)
#tar -zxvf libtool-2.2.6a.tar.gz
#make ; sudo make install